It was certainly a wild ride this last month, mostly of long and bitter disappointments and a waste of precious time. At the end of the month it felt like the main redeeming factor was the ability to spend some time with the family, which is always a plus.
However, it would not be completely fair to characterize the entire month as a complete waste of time. The very last day, something unexpected popped up as a potential avenue for treatment.
In fact, it was something that cropped up between the time I woke up in the morning for my plane flight back here and the time I finally made it into DFW.
I'm playing this one a little close to the chest, I know, but contrary to what my many postings here may indicate, there are things I don't actually share or publish about my health.
This treatment won't be without its severe risks. I got a sobering breakdown from a doctor today, and it will certainly not be as nearly innocuous as I had originally hoped. There is a little bit more than a small chance that the treatment itself will create congestive heart failure, or produce an overnight cardiac arrest by worsening the massively obstructive apnea my CPAP machine deals with on a daily basis.
There is definitely published evidence that in certain cases this solution has worked, and so far 8 years of medical records don't counterindicate me being one of those cases. They don't prove it WILL work, but they don't put me outside the bounds of it working either. There is also anecdotal evidence in my own life that this will produce some results. I've told someone before that they saved my life, or at least extended it, and if this works out, I don't think they'll ever believe how true those words ring. So, there is the chance...the chance...that it will be a major step towards a cure or at least a reversal of many of the worst insulin problems, and though the major risk factors are serious, they are commensurate to the potential benefit.
I have decided that this gamble is worth that chance. And one way or another, we're getting my brother a little bit closer to a solution for him. If we must discard this avenue and keep searching for new ones, might as well get that done sooner rather than later.
There is a secondary confirmation coming in this week as to whether this avenue of treatment may be something worth trying. Honestly, though, I believe I am going to pursue it whether or not the second green light hits. At the moment, there is not much else to be done, and I know I can't stay like this for much longer. I think it's only God's grace that I haven't had a major cardiac event or stroke thus far, and I'd like to do more to keep it that way. :- )
So, I would appreciate your prayers. Yes, that this works, but also for my family. I made this decision, but it affects them as well, and they are on board and supportive. Now, we need to convince at least one of the doctors to sign off on the treatment, and I will begin. Thankfully, this won't even require another trip like the one I just had.
So, this may be one of the last health updates in a while, because I don't expect to get my hands on this solution for another month or so, and won't be able to report on results for another month or two after that...but, as I mentioned before, prayers would be GREATLY appreciated.
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



May the Lord of Host continue to guide your steps as you walk through this evil world. May His Kingdom breakthrough into your life as the dawn breaks into the night.
ReplyDelete