Tuesday, May 12, 2009

General GRRRRRR

Every once in a while, a string of news stories back-to-back in a day will raise my hackles. Today is one of those days.

Item 1: "Buy Black"
Comment: "Buy from white-owned businesses only" wouldn't fly, why should this???

Item 2: Beauty Brouhaha
Comment: Holds the same views as Beloved Great Leader Obama...but got crucified for them in a way the same community has never crucified the President. This is such crap. I didn't see the online and TV vitriol against the black, latin, catholic, or muslim communities when Prop 8 passed in California. Somehow it was all the predominantly low-key white mormons that got the ravages of everyone's vitriol, and some evangelicals to boot. Grow some balls and dish it out evenly, or don't dish it out at all.

Item 3: Twilight (movie or book)
Comment: How absolutely SAD is it that the concept of a young man who is willing to CONTROL and RESTRAIN himself around his beloved is SO fantastical that it becomes the thing of sighing fantasies for the young tween crowd.

Item 4: Gender-based abortion ok.
Comment: Well, of course, the slow slide to eugenics continues - unrelenting. Future possibilities I would place money on: children with genetic predispositions to diseases. Not currently ill or will be born ill, that already happens to some extent. I mean the POTENTIAL for illness.

Item 5: No peace will ever be possible.
And anyone who believes there will be peace without one side eliminating the other side of the argument from the area (genocide, or 100% displacement), is a naive fool. With children being taught such a degree of racism at such an early age, there is no hope. Of course, the other side will retaliate, and then the back and forth will be justified in each side's eyes. What if the video included two different ethnicities? What if the speaker was a KKK grand dragon saying the same things about Jews? Or a neonazi speaking about gays, blacks, or jews? Instant nationwide outrage. What makes this so pernicious, is this man is not a radical. This man is being a very good "sunday school teacher", teaching pretty much directly out of the book. I've been spending a lot more time familiarizing myself with the source texts to be sure I don't speak out of turn or ignorance.

Related item: impossible to change religion. Again, change ethnicities/religions in the key players, and the rest of the world would be outraged.

Anyway, that's what has recently jumped off the newsreels at me. I'm sure there's more, but that was a lot to read and get mad at in just one afternoon of reading.

2 comments:

  1. I remember a couple years back I remember a devout couple decided to boycott Chinese products because of some travesty or other. Didn't get too far.

    Of the 4000 people who signed up for the experiment on the web site, I wonder how many used Windows (designed by the evil Bill Gates). Or Apple (Steve Jobs?) I think when we work with each other, instead of against each other, everyone benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Strider, Amen. :-) Great point on the computer issue... :-)

    ReplyDelete