Sunday, June 21, 2009

25 days update

Well, the great news is that my brother is feeling extremely good in this treatment. He claims to feel 18 again, and chock full o' energy. He's hitting the gym every night after work, and not feeling drained or tired because of it.

I got my vitamin D results back, and as expected I came out astoundingly low. In fact, I was about 20% LOWER than my brother, and his doctor was astonished by his results. The recommendation was to supplement with at least 25-30x the recommended daily value every third day, and 4x the recommended daily value as a daily booster.

While at the 1 month mark, my brother is feeling amazing and is even visibly changing physically, I have no such news to report. About the only verified positive is that my blood pressure, which was not bad to begin with, is now "excellent". The second positive, unverified until the chance for new blood work, is that I believe the insulin response must be improving in my body, because I am no longer as tied to a fixed eating schedule before becoming hypoglycemic. We knew I was in much worse shape than my brother, and have no idea how much it is going to take for me to be able to improve at the same rate he might, but we're not going to push it.

I can feel the stuff working, but that hasn't necessarily been pleasant. Most of my muscles feel as if I had just finished an arduous workout, and my bones feel as if I was going through growing pains again. I have had a few painful episodes with my feet, but not to levels that I have faced before. I can feel the acceleration of my system. I am a little warmer, and can get overheated quickly. I suffer in the outdoors temperature a lot more. My heart rate can climb quickly if I am out and about doing anything that requires effort.

I went to a science museum some days ago, and interestingly enough, the side of my body I had applied the medication to that day was noticeably warmer on the FLIR...maybe by about 1/2 degree F.

I can feel the stress on my heart, but at least we're keeping the edema down for the time being, so I think that as long as I manage my exertions it is at least a calculated risk rather than an unacceptable one.

Thanks to all of you that have been keeping up. If there are any interesting/significant changes, I'll post. Otherwise, it will be boring "more of the same" posts. :) the only reason for this one was the change to full-dose (double my brother's) of the principal medicine, and the supercharged vitamin D.


--
The Old Fool

“If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -George Orwell.
-

No comments:

Post a Comment