Saturday, August 29, 2009

Chicken soup for my soul...

I am back on the LU campus for the week-end, helping to usher in a whole new class of fresh-faced brothers into 41.

After having been too ill to attend last year (my only miss in 12 consecutive initiation/EO years), I am VERY glad to have the opportunity to be back, and taking my place as one of the keepers/tellers of the oral histories and traditions in the floor. It was one of the aspects of the whole weeks that I always enjoyed as a young underclassman myself, and now to be able to have the great privilege to take part in the week in that way is a real shot in the arm of my good humor and morale. I love telling these old stories, enjoy the laughs, and more than anything, enjoy participating in this grand old tradition kept alive simply because of the joy others find in it and their desire to continue uplifting these traditions year after year.

Thank you, my brothers for all the years we have done this together in the past, for keeping the traditions alive...and you new brothers - I look forward to years of getting chances to know each other some more. Welcome! And remember that once a 41er.... (that's right, you finish the phrase for me now...)

Always in style:
From LU Years

Memories of years gone by:

From LU Years

From LU Years

From LU Years

From LU Years

Last good shot of the pristine original 41 tiles...
From LU Years
--
The Old Fool

“If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -George Orwell.


*NOTE: I reserve the rights to all the original postings in this blog. Do not use without permission and/or full attribution.

-

3 comments:

  1. sigh.. it still saddness me that the old tiles disappeared.... =(

    However, it was pretty funny watching Andrew get all scaried at the thought of asbestos poisoning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw - do we still have the old 41-sided table? hmm... I'm going to have to call you one of these days to talk about old times and to hear the new stories from the new 41ers... time, oh, time. where have you gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do have the table, thank goodness. What disappeared along with the tiles was the original, broken table, that led to the current one.

    ReplyDelete