Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Gluten, produce, sierra, and 41er's

This is a random catch-all...Well, things are indeed progressing as the doc suspected - and I admit that this is much to my dismay.

Now that I have had many days of gluten- and fresh fruit/veggie-free foods, going back and experimenting with these foods has produced sharply more acute responses. Not necessarily unexpected if I was growing unable to deal with these foodstuffs, simply a disappointing confirmation that this is a new reality to be dealt with.

Gluten-rich pastas have become my 1 enemy. 29 hours on, I'm still paying for that last encounter.

I spent a good time on the phone with my father today, reminiscing about the good life lessons learned from visiting the sierra villages, and remembering what truly thankful people look like (not me, but I have been blessed to know people who ARE).

It was a refreshing walk down memory lane, and a reminder that there are rich experiences to mine for comfort and support...thanks mostly to the dedicated parents I had.

This has been an especially difficult week, because for the first time in 12 annual events for freshmen orientation, I have been unable due to these health complications to participate. This event is one of my favorite times of the year - inducing new brothers into this life-shaping experience as they embark on their college careers.

It's sad how it takes missing something to realize just how important it is to you and to your own personal morale. Some of the most uplifting times I've had in my adult life have been with those brothers, and I wish this new crop of brothers a wonderful beginning to this new year.

I hope to meet with you 41ers soon, and share some wonderful memories as we begin a new year. Until then, you are in my fond memories and prayers...Once a 41er...always a 41er! ~Nacho

Musical accompaniment to the randomness:

Brother
Through the Glass
My Friend of Misery
Duality
Me Inside
Stone Cold Crazy
Snuff
Outlaw Torn
Frantic

No comments:

Post a Comment