Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Life is strange

I have mentioned before that life can be quite strange, and that I am also one of the luckiest men alive.

Apparently I underestimated my luck. ;-)

I had one final visit with the docs on Friday before coming here. Good news is that they think I am kooky enough to be a research CASE STUDY for an entire research team at a research hospital. Nice...probably better treatment available there.

It was the fact that a medical professional finally strung all these health pearls together and postulated a series of possible explanations when I realized my aforementioned understatement:

I should be dead. Or severely handicapped. Or both (handicapped followed by quick death). Any one of the things I have could individually be rapidly debilitating, handicapping, and many of them fatal. 99.999% of all human beings on earth would go into a coma and die within an hour of a meal, whereas I have survived many, many, many meals with no such ill effects. :-)

In  fact, it's the fact that I have so many things wrong with me that seems to be buying me the time needed to address the problems and also continue pursuing the dreams I have...they have been damping each others effects. How weird is that! I should be rapidly and continuously gaining weight every week to the point of suffering a fatal heart attack or some related complication. But my body is starving itself due to another problem. If I did not have the insulin storing fat for me, I would have wasted away like a cancer patient and become much more sickly and probably suffered a complicating fatality. I should be crippled throughout my musculoskeletal system...but the out of whack hormones (natural steroids, some) have been acting like my own internal pharmacy to treat the condition.

And on these three creaky legs my life stands. But it stands. And if I did not have one of these legs, other things would fly out of control...because they literally have run out of medications that can be effective on me anymore...

So, I am lucky and blessed, for I have been given time that didn't belong to me. This should have finished me off so long ago...but think of all the wonderful people I would not have met, the beautiful memories I would not have made, the wonderful reapproachment with my parents I would not have had, the love I have experienced and relished I would not have savored, the thoughts I would not have been able to put down and shared (many of them not here, but for people like my parents and family if they ever must go through my things), the joys of personal professional accomplishments I would not have felt, and the peace of self-realization that has come about from this entire process.

And now I have time to still try to fix the wobbly stool...all three legs at the same time.

Yes, lucky...one lucky bastard. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment